April 28, 2011

MEET TOMMY


Today, we introduce you to the one and only Tommy Kha.

THE SCOOP Born and raised in Memphis, Tommy is receiving his BFA in Photography in just two weeks and has just been accepted to Yale University to pursue his MFA in Photography. He’ll be studying under great photographers/artists such as Tod Papageorge, Richard Benson, Philip Lorca diCorcia, and Gregory Crewdson. Here’s what he says about his work:

I believe whenever I'm photographing that I am performing for it, others are performing for my camera, even buildings! Documentary, staging and performance are important to my work because I believe in multiple ways to approaching truths and realities because I am multifaceted. I'm Chinese but also American and I'm from the South. Whether my work speaks of one or another, what I want my photography to confirm and subvert is the cultural differences that we have inherited.

PHOTOS The photos shown above are taken from several great collections he’s documented for his BFA work, friends, and Live From Memphis. They truly look like scenes from a movie.

SPECIFIC TO SEEN MEMPHIS His genuine love for Memphis will bring him back often enough to contribute incredible photos for this project. Although he doesn’t necessarily call his work street photography, he’ll approach it with a documentary style and will look to works from Goldin, Alec Soth and Amy Stein whenever he’s photographing people and landscape.

LINKS Web / Blog / Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment